Cassava soup, a recipe originally from West Africa, is one of Suriname's favorite dishes.
The added ingredients give it the typical Surinam touch.
Easy to prepare, it can be served as a side dish to complete the meal!
Ingredients: serves for 4 to 5 persons.|
* 64 oz. water
* 1 lb. shank
* 2 stems celery
* 5 grains pimento
* 1 fresh whole pepper
* 4 oz. pickled meat (option: smoked - or dried fish)*
* 3 - 4 cubes bouillon (depending on the individual taste)
* 2 medium cassavas (about 1 lb.), cut into bite - size cubes
* 1 small whole union
* coconut milk (option) for a smooth texture.
Boil the water for ten minutes together with the shank. (take away any foam that occurs). Add to this, the unsalted pickled meat.
The whole onion, celery stems, pimento grains, the whole pepper (do not pierce!), and the cassava.
The soup is ready when the cassava, pickled meat and shank are tender.
At the end, add the bouillon cubes and as option; the coconut milk.
Boil for an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
* Desalt the pickled meat first.
St.Petersburg, Florida 33743 - 8164. USA.
Phone: (727) 344 - 7608
Toll free: (877) 808 - 9410 (for ordering only)